Sunday 22 April 2018

Music Video plan



My chosen song to use for my unit 36 music video is "National Anthem" by RadioHead. I wanted to make a music video for this particular song as not only is it by one of my favourite groups, but also because the song is robust enough for me to create whatever i wish. The song doesn't currently have an official music video for it, which means that i can comfortably create my own video without subconsciously confirming to themes and motifs put forth in an official video.

To start my planning i analysed the songs lyrics, i wanted to have a better understanding of the song, its atmosphere, its tone, its themes and so forth, the challenge with doing this for this particular song and even Radiohead in general is that there lyrics are extremely vague, with multiple interpretations coming from multiple viewings, overtime i would listen to the song to try and create an interpretation my opinion would change.
my conclusion for the analysis was that it was a metaphor for an individuals paranoia and fear of the society around him, he can sense the rising social and cultural unrest around him, a tinderbox waiting for a spark to set it all off.

trying to visualise a music video for this interpretation of the song wasn't that difficult, the concept immediately came up with was that the video should be a representation of the world around the individual, to compare and contrast how he sees the world around him. The utopian lie that we were all promised against what we truly live in.

Analysis of Lyrics

StoryBoard









The song itself is extremely repetitive in its sound, with an exact constant drumbeat that runs throughout it, i knew i could use to my advantage by using the constant drumbeat as a guide for my footage, the gaps between every beat would show the contrast between my idea of a utopian society and and the violence and cruelty of our world.
The idea of showing the contrast between the two worlds is a very broad topic, meaning that actually recording my own footage would be almost impossible, collecting all the footage would take months or even years to complete, to work around this i thought that using found footage would be much simpler and effective. However this in itself brings forth more problems,
can i insure that all footage is of a high quality?
will the camera work in all the clips be to a high standard?
these are all questions that i will ask myself when gathering footage

I also want to have a key unique style that runs throughout my piece, not only to break up the what would be bland footage collected from youtube and other services, but also to highlight the hatred and fear that the individual in my interpretation would be experiencing.

Proof of concept


A few months prior to my music video planning i was experimenting with premier pro for a personal project i was working on, upon reviewing the final piece of my project i realised the manipulation of the RGB layers of the footage created this distorted, warped and eerie effect to the video. i thought about applying this technique to my music video ( the idea being that the the distortion created by the technique would expand upon my themes of social and cultural unrest, fear and paranoia).


Moodboard








recorded footage

due to the broad nature of my piece, how it relies on found footage so much and how the film essentially relies on it so much, i found myself questioning how my recorded footage would add to it. i spent hours writing plans and storyboards trying to create a perfect place to interject my filming into it.
i realised that any work i create would always seem obvious and pre-planned, therefore  i had the idea to film my experiences in a foreign place, to explore how daily life in a foreign country compares to life in my country.


No comments:

Post a Comment